Sunday 5 May 2013

No Hit Wonders Part 2

Jack Hammer Drill
George Williams was a band leader/arranger who had an album released 'The Fox in Hi-Fi' on Coral records in 1957. I have heard snippets from the L.P on youtube and it is very much in the jazz vein. But his 1955 Coral release (45 rpm and 78 rpm) is a nice little saxophone led jiver with a simple vocal chorus. It is catchy tune and I remember trying to learn to Jive to it when I first heard it when it was released on the bootleg Cat E.P Vol 7 in the early 1980's. I still can not Jive to save my life, but I can not blame my non-dancing on 'Jack Hammer Drill' it is a great record for real dancers to cut a rug to, but alas the record did not make an impression on the charts at the time.

The image above is an advert from the June edition of Billboard magazine 1955

Bootleg Cat 7 vinyl E.P

Jack Hammer Drill
Listen or download

No comments:

Post a Comment